If you’re the owner of a new puppy, then you’re no doubt having a lot of fun. They’re playful, loving, and full of energy. The one thing that’s not so much fun? When they have accidents on your carpet. Learning how to get dog urine smell out of carpet can be beneficial when owning a dog.
It takes a while to get puppies properly house broken. So you’re going to have to accept the fact that there will be times when they’ll urinate on your carpet. The good news is that they will eventually be trained to do their business outside. The bad news is that even after one accident, the smell of dog urine can get trapped in your carpet.
Household Remedies to Get Dog Urine Smell Out Of Carpet
If you’re trying to figure out how to get dog urine smell out of carpet, then here are a few things you can try using household ingredients.
- Vinegar and baking soda. Mix 1 cup of water and one cup of distilled white vinegar in a clean spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the urine stain and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then, dab up the moisture with a clean cloth or sponge. Once most of the moisture is pulled up, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda onto the stain and let it sit for 30 minutes to deodorize the area. Then, vacuum up the baking soda.
- Hydrogen peroxide paste. Combine 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in a small bowl. Gently mix until you form a paste. Apply the paste to the urine stain with a spoon. Let it sit for at least an hour. Then, dab up the paste with a warm, damp cloth. Then, press paper towels over the area to absorb as much leftover moisture as possible. Be sure not to scrub the paper towels back and forth.
- Club soda. This method is best for fresh urine stains. Get a bottle of plain club soda and slowly pour it onto the stain. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then blot up the moisture with a clean cloth and then paper towels. You may also spray an air freshener over the stain to introduce some fresh aromas.
- Enzymatic cleaner. If the stain is fresh, blot up as much of it as you can with paper towels or a clean cloth. Then spray enzymatic cleaner (available at most pet stores) on the stain until the carpet is saturated. Then, simply let it dry for 24 hours. The smell should be gone.
Each of these methods is simple and definitely worth trying, but they may not completely remove the odor. If you’ve done your best and you’re still left wondering how to get dog urine smell out of carpet, then consider professional carpet cleaning.
Why to Consider a Professional to Get Dog Urine Smell Out of Carpet
There are several reasons why you should consider a professional carpet cleaning service to get the smell of dog urine out of your carpet.
- It works. When you hire a professional you know that the smell will definitely be gone. No other method can guarantee results.
- You don’t have to do it yourself. Wouldn’t you rather spend your time doing something else besides cleaning dog urine stains out of your carpet? Hire a professional and they’ll be in and out before you know it.
- The carpet will get thoroughly cleaned. The DIY methods above might be good in emergencies, but to get a truly clean carpet, hire a professional. They can ensure the stain is removed, of course, but they can also give the entire carpet a deep down clean. They’ll eliminate other stains and smells you might not have even noticed, so the entire carpet will be cleaner than ever.
- You’ll have a healthier home. If you or anyone in your home has asthma, allergies, or other kinds of breathing problems, then regular professional carpet cleanings are a must. Carpet fibers trap dust mites, pet dander, dirt, and allergens which can aggravate breathing issues, especially in children or the elderly. Professional carpet cleaning eliminates these allergens.
- Your carpet will last longer. Over time, dust and dirt can build up in your carpet fibers and make the carpet look old and dingy. You may be tempted to replace it, even if it’s just a few years old. Chances are, it doesn’t need to be replaced, it just needs to be cleaned. After a professional cleaning your carpet will look new and feel soft.
Contact Safe-Dry® for Your Carpet Cleaning Needs
If you’re wondering how to get dog urine smell out of carpet, then contact Safe-Dry Carpet Cleaning. We use a non-toxic, eco-friendly solution that removes dog urine odor and stains. Our process gets deep into the carpet and padding to break down and eliminate the source of the odor. Get a quote and schedule an appointment online today.